“Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it will elude you. But, if you turn your attention to other things, it comes softly and sits on your shoulder.” – Henry David Thoreau
We began our final June CD LEAD Teacher meeting with a continued “happiness” focus. We learned about happiness and life lessons from a ‘butterfly’ as we continue to embrace change.
Welcome & Happiness Activity
CD BIG Pictures
CD Virtual Reality Activity
CD Role and Division Initiatives
Career Development Lockbox Activity
Reflections, Wrap up, Safe Travel Home
CD Fun and Games:
Our final meeting was filled with some career-related fun as we explored The Learning Partnerships’ CD Virtual Reality Videos We took some time to explore the videos and related links and discuss curriculum connections, possible use of these videos in creating rotation stations for Career Education students, etc. As well, Ellyse shared information on how we can create our own virtual reality viewers. DIY Virtual Reality Headset and DIY Virtual Reality Headsets Some of you plan to implement ideas explore next school year. Please keep our team posted on feedback from your students.
Towards the end of our session, we competed in a skill-building lockbox team challenge. This “Back to the Future” themed challenge involved finding clues, decoding puzzles, and unlocking a series of locks in order to accomplish the task. Our teams were very competitive and it was awesome to see 21st Century Skills in action. Following the activity, we discussed many classroom/curriculum connections. I look forward to hearing from those of you who decide to try these challenges with students next school year. You can search for various challenges or register at BreakoutEDU for some pre-designed challenges. As well, if really adventurous, you can create your own! For the purpose of this activity, I made my own lockbox kits, but you can also purchase them if you prefer.
We still have a number of year-end tasks to complete before year end. Please see individual emails which provide additional detail to this list of Career Development Related wrap-up/year-end tasks. They are due by June 21st, 2017. Please reach out with any questions/concerns. Thanks!
* If you are looking for summer PD, take some time to read various Blended Learning articles from The Hechinger Report or read various books/articles on Blended Learning and/or Personalized Learning (some of which are available from the Division Office).
Choose one of the following Exit Slip activities:
* In thinking about our 2016-2017 school year, what do you consider to be some of our shared successes and/or areas of future focus? Please reply to this blogpost with your comments.
* This year, we worked as a team to expand further ourselves on our PeBL journey. How do you plan to further incorporate/implement our learnings next school year?
* Rather than reply, create your own blogpost on our Career Connectors Blog regarding your year-end reflections/goals for next year, etc.
* How do you see the Virtual Reality or Lockbox Challenge experiences connecting to outcomes in your various classrooms in order to provide meaningful learning opportunities for students.
Thank you for your ongoing professionalism, dedication, and commitment to our shared goals and initiatives. Thanks to all of you for another incredible year of learning together as we support students and their families with the life/career development process.
Career Development Celebrations/Acknowledgements:
* Thank you to Sam and Renee for taking the lead and sharing ideas with us at our CD LEAD Teacher meeting. It was great to see your Career Education classroom notebook in action, Sam. This allows students to progress through outcomes at their own place and pace and provides for some other personalized learning activities during your class time. Renee, we appreciate the info you share from a DLC lens. Your Moodle course will be very informative for students and parents and will help families with the life/career development process. Also, your dual role with Student Support Services and Career Development helps our CD LEAD Teachers see supports from a broader perspective.
* We sadly bid farewell to our Career Development Guru, Kevin, as he re-retires and spends more time exploring new interests, travelling, and spending time with his growing family. We can’t imagine our CD world without you, Kevin, but wish you every happiness in the years ahead. Feel free to come back and visit – and help with the Career Fair next year!
*As well, we are hoping Chris will change his mind, but we all know he has career counselled himself into a new occupation. We are proud of you for setting and reaching your recent goals, Chris. You are an inspiration to us in terms of being able to balance work, family, new learning, and new experiences as you change occupations. You are a tremendous asset to our team and your personality and talents will be greatly missed. That being said, we support your decision and wish you well in life’s next adventure.
* We continue to value the leadership of Shari Martin who has allowed us to venture out in this Career Development field and try a number of new things in support of students/families. Thanks Shari!
* To our CD LEAD Teacher Team, I look forward to working alongside you even if in a slightly different capacity next year as we continue to change and grow in support of personalized life/career investigations of students. It sounds like we could all use summer holidays in order to rest, rejuvenate, reflect, and plan forward.
I will leave you with Life Lessons From A Butterfly:
let go of the past
trust the future
come out of the cocoon
unfurl your wings
dare to get off the ground
ride the breezes
savor the flowers
put on your brightest colors
let your beauty show
Change is constant and learning is ongoing. We will navigate this time of change and transition together. I look forward to our 2017-2018 adventures in career development.